Friday, March 7, 2014

Finished appropriation Project

Overall Analysis of Appropriation Project:
For this project I used acrylic paint, an old book, glue, and an X-Acto knife. This experience for a project was very new to me because it was my first book carving. I didn't feel very confident in finishing this project once I was knee-deep in, but I kept going and the outcome wasn't as bad as I thought. The really hard part of a book-carving is in the name, the carving took up most of my time and caused many problems. After carving, I glued the side pages together and then added my base coats of paint.

The purpose of this project was for me to try something new and test my skills against whatever odds lie ahead of me. At the same time though, to convey my idea of the four seasons of climate as a common additive to most of our foods. I definitely learned about how to carve a book, and the correct steps to proceeding in the technique. The most important step is to glue the pages accordingly so that the book sticks in the right way, the rest is up to the skill-level of the artist on how to paint.

When one thinks about the four seasons, the conclusion of them being food items may not pop into the brain so I brought that idea to life. The four seasons are: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. So to demonstrate a relationship between that and "Seasonings," I came up with some interesting thoughts. Sugar, in some cases reminds me of cold and snow; hense it be used for Winter. Spring is often known for it's flowers and green grass, so I came up with the idea of turning it into colored sprinkles. Summer reminds me of cooking burgers and going to the beach so I came up with garlic salt due to the fact that it not only looks like sand, but is ALSO used to cook burgers. Last but not least, Autumn, this time of the year is full of bright red-orange and brown leaves. This reminds me of types of dried pepper used in spices, so I made it look like pepper flakes as the leaves.

Although this project was was hard, it taught me more about the art of craftsmanship and I am very glad I tested my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment